We have all heard of Pushpaka Vimana in our epic, Ramayana.
Aircraft and spacecraft are mentioned in our epics, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Purana and other ancient texts.
These are generally considered as figments of imagination. A deep study in our ancient treatise reveal technical details of some these ancient vimana.
A search into details of the working of these vimana leads one to
Vaimanika Sastra written by; Maharishi Bharadwaja
- Yantra sarvasva Maharishi Bharadwaja
- Samarangana sutra dara Raja Bhoja
These have also been translated into English in the last hundred years with technical drawings of the ancient vimana.
This capsule on Vimana is a collection of information from these texts and it presents probable vimana technology in India from ancient to modern times with interesting details like
- Technical sketch of 4 ancient vimana
|· Rukma - Conical in shape, golden in colour
· Sundara - Rocket like with silver sheen
· Tripura - Three storied, wide body
· Sakuna - Greyish in colour, long distance cruising model
- Inter and Intra lokatravel
Vimana classified into 3 types depending on their range.
- Short haul - Travel from one city to another
- Long haul - one continent to another
- Intersteller space ship - one Lokato another
The 7 Loka (inhabited world) in the Universe
|1. Bhoo Loka
2. Bhuvar Loka
3. Suvar Loka
4. Maha Loka
5. Jana Loka
6. Tapo Loka
7. Satya Loka
- Mechanisms of the vimana
32 Mechanisms found in the vimana which have been broadly classified as
|· Liquid extracted from wood deposits - liquid hydrocarbons?
· Condensed frozen gas stored in vessels - Cryogenic?
Six types of motors and the power generated by each of them.
- Metals and their alloy
- Food and Clothing for the pilot
First Flight by an Indian
Shivkar Babuji Talpade in the year 1895 at Chowpatty, Bombay
Vimana name – Marutsakha
Tippu’s rocket technology
Year 1792, used in Seringapatnam battle.
Now kept in Rotunda Museum, Woolwich, London.
The capsule concludes with - The future beckons India in aerospace.
How and why this ancient knowledge of our Vimana can be used by us in the future.